Last Updated: 06/03/2022 and all information on this page is accurate and up-to-date
Applications for master’s degree programs are accepted from undergraduate majors in mathematics, the mathematical sciences, e.g., economics and statistics, and engineering. Applications for the doctoral degree program are generally accepted from holders of a master’s degree from a recognized program, preferably an OR program or one in an allied field. These applicants show promise of success at the Ph.D. level, as indicated by previous academic performance and independent research. Students with only a Bachelor’s degree but with outstanding academic records can apply directly to the Ph.D. program.
No minimum requirement has been established, but the following average scores for a recent entering class of twenty students may serve as a guide (Verbal 491, Quantitative 735, Analytical 4.0).
- Read through How to Apply for important Graduate School information.
- Complete and submit the NC State Graduate School Online Application with the application fees and all supporting documents directly to the Graduate School. Supporting documents include:
- One transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended. An official transcript will be needed upon recommendation of acceptance.
- Residence form if claiming NC residence for tuition purposes.
- References from at least three people who know of the applicant’s academic record and potential for graduate study.
- A non-refundable application fee.
- Official GRE test scores.
International Student Applicants
In addition to the above, international students are required to submit with their application to the graduate school:
- Official GRE test scores
- TOEFL certification that is less than two years old
- A certificate of financial responsibility
NC State Admission Policy
It is the policy of the State of North Carolina to provide equality of opportunity in education and employment for all students and employees. Accordingly, the university does not practice or condone unlawful discrimination in any form against students, employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. Nor does the university allow discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation with respect to internal university matters that do not contravene federal or state law and that do not interfere with the University’s relationships with outside organizations, including the federal government, the military, ROTC, and private employers. See Admission to Graduate School REG 02.15.1 policy.
Can I Afford It?
NC State is one of the most affordable universities in the U.S. with the numbers to back it up:
- #11 Best Value Public Colleges, Kiplinger’s
- #25 Best Value College, Forbes
- #50 Best Value National Universities, U.S. News
- #32 Academic Ranking, ShanghaiRanking
We know that money is a big part of your planning, and we have some resources to help.