Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering
- Phone: 919.515.5938
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: 3203 Fitts-Woolard Hall
Ali Hajbabaie is an assistant professor in the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering at NC State University. He is primarily associated with the “Transportation Systems” and “Computing and Systems” groups within the Department.
After receiving his Ph.D., Hajbabaie was a postdoctoral research scholar at the Institute for Transportation Research and Education at NC State. He then moved to Washington State University where he was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering from 2014 to 2019.
Hajbabaie has served as the Secretary of the Work Zone Traffic Control standing committee of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine since 2014 and as the Chair of the Asset Management Subcommittee of the Traffic Signal Systems Committee of the TRB.
Hajbabaie teaches courses such as Traffic Engineering, Advanced Traffic Control, Traffic Flow Theory, and Traffic Operations.
Hajbabaie is interested in the real-time optimization of large-scale complex engineering systems represented by models with a high degree of realism. His research is focused on traffic operations and control in the presence of connected human-driven and self-driving cars. Hajbabaie and his research group use multi-scale analysis, modeling, and optimization to improve traffic operations. His research is advancing our understanding of cooperative traffic control systems and contributes to the development of future mobility systems, including connected and automated vehicles.
|Ph.D.||Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering||University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign||2012|
|MSIE||Master of Science in Industrial Engineering||University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign||2011|
|MSCE||Master of Science in Civil Engineering||Sharif University of Technology||2006|
|BSCE||Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering||Sharif University of Technology||2003|
Honors and Awards
- 2022 | Best Dissertation Award – Honorary Mention, Transportation Research Board
- 2021 | Sweet 16 High Value Research, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials
- 2019 | Certificate of Excellence, Work Zone and Traffic Control Committee, the Transportation Research Board, National Academy of Sciences
- 2018 | Outstanding Junior Researcher, the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University
- 2016 | Best Paper Award, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Work Zone Traffic Control Committee
- 2011 | Best Student Paper Award, Transportation & Development Institute’s Congress, American Society of Civil Engineers
- 2010 | Best Paper Award, Institute of Transportation Engineers, Illinois Section