Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering
- Phone: 919.515.7387
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: Fitts-Woolard Hall
Billy Edge is a professor of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering at NC State University and Head of Coastal Processes and Engineering at the UNC Coastal Studies Institute. In this position, he also serves as the Director of Renewable Ocean Energy for North Carolina.
Previously he was Head of the Ocean Engineering Program at Texas A&M University and Head of the Coastal & Ocean Engineering Division of the Civil Engineering Department. While at TAMU he was also Director of the Texas A&M Haynes Coastal Engineering Laboratory. Prior to Texas A&M University, Edge worked extensively in the private sector and was a professor at Clemson University.
Edge has published extensively with over 100 publications and has made numerous conference presentations both nationally and internationally, including in Korea, China, Thailand, Spain, Japan, Germany, Australia, South Africa, The Netherlands, Italy, Taiwan, and Canada.
Edge is a member of:
- American Shore and Beach Preservation Association
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Florida Shore and Beach Preservation Association
- International Association for Hydraulic Research
- Marine Technology Society
- Permanent International Association for Navigation Congresses
- Western Dredging Association
His professional activities include:
- Member of the prestigious Marine Board, National Academy of Engineering
- Secretary, Rubble Mound Structures Committee, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Secretary, Coastal Engineering Research Council, Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Division, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Editor of the Proceedings (25 years), International Conference on Coastal Engineering
- President of the Governing Board, American Society of Civil Engineers’ Coasts, Oceans, Ports, Rivers Institute
- Technical Region Director, American Society of Civil Engineers Board of Direction
Edge is interested in sustainable engineering practices in the coastal environment, coastal engineering, dredging technology, coastal zone management, hydraulic engineering, modeling of coastal processes.
|Ph.D.||Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering||Georgia Institute of Technology||1969|
|MSCE||Master of Science in Civil Engineering||Virginia Polytechnic Institute||1966|
|BSCE||Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering||Virginia Polytechnic Institute||1964|
Honors and Awards
- 2009 | Distinguished Member, American Society of Civil Engineers
- 2007 | Outstanding Civilian Service Medal, US Army, Corps of Engineers
- 1997 | International Coastal Engineering Award, American Society of Civil Engineers
- 1994 | W. H. Bauer Professorship in Dredging Engineering, Texas A&M University
- 1993 | Morrough P. O’Brien Award, American Shore and Beach Preservation Association
- 1983 | Arthur M. Wellington Price, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Coastal Engineering Support to NERHI project.
- A Study for Support of Offshore Wind Energy Development in North Carolina