- Phone: 919-515-4674
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: 2806 Hillsborough St-Bldg A 217
- Website: http://scm.ncsu.edu/blog
Rob Handfield is the Bank of America University Distinguished Professor of Supply Chain Management at North Carolina State University and director of the Supply Chain Resource Cooperative (http://scrc.ncsu.edu). He also serves as an adjunct professor with the Supply Chain Management Research Group at the Manchester Business School.
Handfield is the consulting editor of the Journal of Operations Management, one of the leading supply chain management journals in the field, and is the author of several books on supply chain management, the most recent being Supply Market Intelligence, Supply Chain Re-Design and Introduction to Supply Chain Management (Prentice Hall, 1999, 25,000 copies sold, and translated into Chinese, Japanese, and Korean). He has co-authored textbooks for MBA and undergraduate classes including Purchasing and Supply Chain Management 3rd revision (with Robert Monczka) and Operations and Supply Chain Management (with Cecil Bozarth). Handfield was identified as one of a handful of individuals in the 2007 “Pros to Know” list compiled by Supply and Demand Chain Executive journal :(http://www.sdcexec.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=1&id=9287). He is regularly quoted in periodicals such as The Wall Street Journal, San Francisco Chronicle, Inc. Supply Chain Management Review, and other periodicals.
Handfield has consulted with over 25 Fortune 500 companies, including GlaxoSmithKline, Freightliner, Boston Scientific, Delphi, Chevron, British Petroleum, Nortel Networks, Chevron Phillips, Lyondell Chemical, Conoco Phillips, Federal Express, Milliken, and others. He has published more than 100 articles in top management journals including California Management Review, Sloan Management Review, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Journal of Operations Management, and Decision Sciences.
Dr. Handfield’s research with a number of leading SCM organizations across a variety of industries has identified that companies who excel in the consistent application of “best-in-class” supply management processes and practices and becoming a customer of choice have demonstrated significantly higher financial performance than their competitors. This performance of best-in-class organizations has not gone unnoticed by market analysts and has been amply rewarded by significant improvements in stock performance.
Handfield is considered a thought leader in the field of supply chain management and is an industry expert in the field of strategic sourcing, supply market intelligence, and supplier development. He has spoken on these subjects across the globe, including in China, Turkey, Latin America, Europe, Japan, Canada, and other locals.
- Supply Chain Management
- COVID-19 Supply Chain
- Vaccine Supply Chain
- Global Sourcing
|Ph.D.||Doctor of Philosophy in Operations Management||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||1990|
|B.S.Stat.||Bachelor of Science, Statistics||The University of British Columbia||1985|
|BSAM||Bachelor of Science, Applied Mathematics||The University of British Columbia||1985|
Discover more about Bill Rand
- Rob Handfield Explains Why Car Shortage May Continue for Years (August 27, 2021)
- Rob Handfield Warns that Vaccine Waste Can Be Used in Counterfeit Efforts (March 25, 2021)
- Rob Handfield: Texas Freeze Exposes Problems with Global Plastic Supply Chain (March 17, 2021)
- Rob Handfield Explains Rubber Shortage Slowing Vaccine Distribution (March 17, 2021)
- Rob Handfield Finds Lack of Coordination in National Vaccine Distribution (Feb.18, 2021)
- Rob Handfield Explains State Challenges with Vaccine Distribution (Feb. 18, 2021)
- Rob Handfield New Project to Develop Ethical Apparel Index (Feb. 12, 2021)
- Rob Handfield’s Vaccination Distribution Plan is to Work Backward from the Patient (Feb. 5, 2021)
- Rob Handfield Sees More Emphasis on Supply than Distribution of the COVID Vaccine (Jan 21, 2021)
- Rob Handfield Discusses Further Concerns with Vaccine Rollout Due to Supply Chain Problems (Jan. 21, 2021)
- Rob Handfield Talks COVID Strain on Healthcare Workers (2021)
- Rob Handfield on the New Players of Protective Gear for WRAL (July 23, 2020)
- Tom Linton About the Physics of Supply Chain and Paths to Become CPO (June 19, 2020)
- Rob Handfield Webinar on Vital Supply Chains in a Pandemic (May 20, 2020)
- Dogs or Ventilators: Where is the Real Shortage? (April 2, 2020)
- Rob Handfield on the Perilous State of Healthcare Supply Chain (April 2, 2020)
- Supply Chain Impacts – Where are All the N95 Masks? (April 1, 2020)
- Rob Handfield Assures Shoppers Grocery Supply Chains Are Strong (March 18, 2020)
- Rob Handfield’s 2020 Supply Chain Predictions (February 5, 2020)
- Rob Handfield, Pierre Mitchell Discuss What’s on the Minds of Today’s CPOs (Dec. 1, 2019)
- How Blockchain Technology Could Reshape Supply Chain Management (October 3, 2019)
- Professor Robert Handfield: Curiosity Drives His Quest for Knowledge; the SCRC Reflects His Commitment to Teaching (February 15, 2018)
- Harnessing the Power of Collaboration to Impact the Global Supply Chain (Summer 2018)